I’ve managed to get another plot! It’s on the same site has my existing one and better still, it’s the plot next door. My plans for the new plot is to make it into a work area with a couple of beds. The problem I have got with my existing plot is that I’ve got nowhere to work (sowing and planting up seedlings etc), so this new plot with help tremendously. (more…)
Another quick video update from my allotment. As you can see things are now been harvested and gaps are starting the appear. Won’t be long now until autumn.
Making nettle fertiliser is one of the most easiest and cheapest ways to make home made fertiliser. Its rich in nitrogen, iron, magnesium and sulfur, and will do wonders for your plants.
- To make nettle fertiliser, get a bucket and fill it with nettles. You can speed up the process by cutting the nettles into smaller chunks but this isn’t essential.
- Fill the bucket with water but leave enough so it doesn’t overflow.
- Every couple of days, give it a stir and after two-three weeks, it will be ready. Word of warning though, it will smell foul.
- Filter out the mixture into another bucket to clear out the debris.
- To use your nettle fertiliser, mix with water (1:10. 1 part nettle fertiliser, 10 part water), and water at the base of your plants.
The weather recently has been hot and I mean hot. Although I’ve been down the allotment, most of the jobs are on hold because of the heat. The only thing I can do is water and harvest as crops become available, and boy I’ve had some good harvests!
In my last post, I said my potatoes would be ready to harvest within a couple of weeks. Well the following weekend, I couldn’t help myself and emptied one of the tubs to see if there was anything in there and I was treated to some tasty taters. Along with the potatoes, I have some strawberries, beetroot, carrots and some onions, and had the lot for dinner that evening. My first proper harvest of the year. (more…)
Things have been pretty busy the last couple of weeks and I haven’t had chance to get down the plot. On Wednesday I managed to find a few hours in the afternoon and went down to check on things and to get on top of the jobs. (more…)
I’ve been on the lookout for a bird table for some time now and couldn’t find anything that took my fancy. Most bird tables in the shops were either too expensive or the build quality was poor and I couldn’t justify buying something when I could quite easily build something from leftover material.
If you read my previous post, you will have seen I went overboard with the radish in the square foot bed. Well this weekend, I started to harvest them and in the process pulled up some rather large but tasty roots out. Most where an inch across, while some measured around 3 inches. The one below was one of the larger ones.