I managed to get down the allotment for a few hours today but unfortunately, my visit was cut short due to the rain. However I managed to weed my onion bed, which was looking sorry for itself, and put some bark chippings down. I’ve seen weather reports that suggest the weather will improve by next weekend. We will see!
I realise we’re almost at the end of January, but I thought I would take the time and reflect back at 2013, and look at my successes and failures. For me, 2013 was a pretty successful year. It was my second year on the plot and I had learnt a lot from the previous year, and I was determined not to make the same mistakes.
In this video, I show you my leek barrier that I’ve put up to try and stop the wind damaging my leeks. I dig over the potato beds ready for spring and I also find a few hidden gems in the strawberry bed.
In this episode I show you my cold frame and make a start filling it with horse manure. Also I pick some more sprouts for tea and give them a feed with a high nitrogen feed. I also harvest some carrots.
Only a quick update today. Last weekend me and my dad spent Saturday and Sunday down the allotment building a new cold frame. It took a day and a bit to put together and the best bit, all the materials were recycled. So without further ado, I present to you the new cold frame.
Autumn is here and this can only mean one thing; time to tidy and clear up the plot. On Saturday morning, I went down the allotment to see how bad it was as I hadn’t been down for a couple of weeks. It wasn’t too bad but parts of it was in desperate need of a weed, mainly the blackcurrant bed and the old strawberry bed. But before cracking on, I had one job to do.
On Sunday morning I went down the allotment with one aim and that was to start digging over the new plot. I’m still not 100% sure on how I’ll use the new plot, but it’s covered in weeds and grass and really needs clearing before winter sets in. (more…)
This is my allotment video update for October 2013. Things are starting to come to an end now, the square foot bed is almost empty, the only thing that remains are a few carrots. My over wintering onions have also gone in, and my leeks that I planted in summer are starting to bulk up.