Massive radish, splitting onions and a strawberry bed

If you read my previous post, you will have seen I went overboard with the radish in the square foot bed. Well this weekend, I started to harvest them and in the process pulled up some rather large but tasty roots out. Most where an inch across, while some measured around 3 inches. The one below was one of the larger ones.

Continue reading

Square Foot Bed

Last year I stumbled across the concept of square foot gardening. The idea is that you create a bed and divide it into sections to create a densely planted bed, and in each section you plant a different variety of vegetable or plant. Wanting to give this a try, I created a new bed over winter that was roughly 5 metres long and about a metre wide, filled it with fresh manure and compost, ready to be planted in spring. Continue reading


I wasn’t planning on growing any chillies this year, but for Christmas I received a gift set with three packets of chilli seeds and various spices and thought it would be a waste not to have a go at growing them. So in late January I sown a packet of Anaheim and a packet of Cayenne in the hope to have some fresh chillies come summer time. Continue reading

The allotment from the start

First day on the allotment

First day on the allotment before I started doing any work.

I got my allotment in April 2012 after been on the waiting list for a couple of months. The plot itself isn’t very big, 12 metres by 5 but it keeps me busy. The first couple of days on the plot was spent digging it over and generally giving it a once over. My plan was to get my potatoes in and then work out where everything else was going to go at a later date. I had 9 rows of potatoes; 3 first early and the rest second early, and these were probably the most successful crop I had that year, weighing it at around 30-40kg.

The next couple of months was spent experimenting with different sowing techniques, planting out various herbs, strawberries and other bits and pieces, just to get into the feel of things. My aim was to find out what works and what doesn’t, and found that I had too much lettuce and radish, my french beans were the dwarf variety and didn’t climb up my frames, and that I didn’t sow enough onions. Continue reading