It’s been a while since I last updated my blog. Things have been busy the last couple of weeks and the allotments have taken a back seat. Despite this, I have managed the odd hour or two down there keeping on top of things.
My Tumbler tomatoes have started to ripen and I’ve been picking handfuls of fruit off the plants for the last couple of weeks. This is the first time I’ve grown Tumbler tomatoes and I have to say, I’m pretty impressed with how quick they ripen. Not only that, but they taste fantastic. The tomatoes in the cold frame are also starting to ripen but I think it will be a couple of weeks before the first fruits are ready.
My new plot is also coming along, even if I am behind schedule. I’ve managed to build a shed with the help of my dad, and I’ve currently got my onion and garlic harvest from the other plots drying in there.
I’ve also finished building the first raised bed last weekend ready for the overwintering onions in September/October. I’m hoping to have another bed ready within the next couple of weeks but I’ve got other priorities on the plot. One of these is to clear an area for the greenhouse and compost heap. The area I’ve got in mind is covered in broken glass and mounds of earth, so that will need to be cleared and then flattened. Back breaking work but no doubt it will be worth it.